The primary function of the laboratories is to check the quality and food safety at each step of the process, receiving through shipping, compared to industry and Company standards. The Quality and Food Safety Engineer has the knowledge and skills to develop analytical testing procedures, train others in laboratory methods and procedures, and use test results to troubleshoot and problem solve complex laboratory equipment and process problems. Works closely with Operations to resolve process issues and improve the process.
This position is only open to candidates currently located within the U.S. at this time.
• Oversees testing in all site laboratories to ensure the quality and food safety of the final product
• Ensures all lab equipment is operating properly, is fully maintained and is within calibration
• Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for all laboratories and updates as necessary to maintain accuracy and repeatability.
• Trains other laboratory personnel and operators on new or updated laboratory equipment, and periodically audits sampling and analytical technique and analysis results.
• Able to do general maintenance of analyzers and troubleshooting of lab equipment and software issues. Coordinates repair complex equipment or issues with equipment PM service providers when necessary.
• Manages Preventive Maintenance and Service agreements on all laboratory equipment.
• Modifies or upgrades equipment. Purchases capital expenditure items and equipment needed by the lab
• Conducts analysis Gauge R & R checks, analyses the data, and coordinates improvement and correction activity when necessary to maintain analysis accuracy and dependability.
• Establishes and updates inventory list of supplies to ensure efficient laboratory operations
• Develops or improves laboratory methods consistent with the Official Methods in Reference Standards (ASTM, EN, AOCS).
• Understands NOPA Guideline for shipping and sampling soybean meal and audits program for compliance with guidelines.
• Able to create charts and graphs in Minitab or similar software for reports and presentations
• Configures, maintains and monitors Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and generates reports as appropriate
• Leads lab design for new products as they are incorporated into the plant.
• Reviews and approves Certificates of Analysis to verify the validity and integrity of finished products
• Monitors and supervises the performance of Lab Technicians
• Reviews lab findings and establishes plan of action to correct deviations
• Documents non-compliance to work standards, provide feedback, retraining, and discipline when necessary
• Validates hours worked by laboratory staff and verifies compensation is correct.
• Act as a back-up in the absence of the Quality Assurance Manager
• Assist Quality Assurance Manager as needed
• Other duties as assigned
Process Control and Improvement:
• Assists with production and certification sample analysis when needed and assists with trouble shooting activities to bring the process back into control.
• Contributes to the development and implementation of tactics and strategies to optimize plant efficiency in order • to maximize yield
• Acts as Liaison between production, commercial, and laboratory
• Trained and able to lead DNA MBU meetings
• Active in MBU goal setting and achievements
• Leader in new DNA requirements.
Quality and Food/Feed Safety Programs:
• Understands and complies with GMPs, Food Safety management systems (including FSSC 22000) requirements and is trained as an internal Food Safety Auditor
• Trains others in Quality and Food Safety
• Actively participates on the facility Quality and Food Safety Steering Teams to monitor and improve the facility GMPs, Food Safety management systems (including FSSC 22000) is trained as an internal Food Safety Auditor
• Coaches others in development, implementation and revisions of the plant Food Safety and Quality programs
• Contributes to the development and implementation of facility Quality and Food Safety audits
• Understand BQ9000 Producer Requirements and is trained as an internal BQ 9000 Auditor
• Contributes to the development and implementation of facility BQ 9000 Quality audits
• Two years’ experience supervising a laboratory
• One year or more experience in a manufacturing facility
• One year or more experience managing projects
• One year or more experience with Gas Chromatography (GC), Karl Fisher, ICP, NIR Equipment
• One year or more analytical chemistry experience in a vegetable oil or biofuels laboratory
• Strong analytical skills.
• Broad knowledge of laboratory processes, procedures and equipment
• Broad knowledge of quality assurance testing methods
• Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software, (e.g., Excel and MS Word)
• Strong mathematical skills
• Ability to work in a safe manner and follow all safety standards and procedures
• Ability to climb stairs and ladders as well as work at extended heights; manage confined space entry, withstand extended periods of walking and standing; move manufacturing materials, products and equipment of 50 pounds or more which requires bending and lifting.
• Knowledge of BQ-9000 and/or ISO 9000 quality systems
• Knowledge of Process Safety Management
• Familiarity with ASTM testing methods
• Knowledge of the regulatory requirements the facility operates under (e.g., GMP, HAACCP, OSHA, EPA, USDA)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Bachelor’s degree in food science, microbiology, biology, chemistry or other science-related field
• 6 Sigma Certification or other quality certifications
• HACCP, PCQI, or other Food Safety certifications
Louis Dreyfus Company provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other protected status.