Overall Purpose and Objective of Position
This position has primary responsibility for assisting with the management of plant operations, and developing/administering production policies and programs, for a soybean crushing and biodiesel plant. Primary functions are to maximize productivity and product quality, while minimizing costs, and to ensure compliance with safety, quality, environmental and productivity standards. In addition, this position also ensures that standards in the following areas are met: emergency management, maintenance, security, facility up-keep, housekeeping and customer service.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Oversees the operation of the plant facility, assists in establishing performance objectives for operation, budgets and schedules, and ensures all required safety and environmental regulations are complied with, while producing the quantity and quality of the product required.
- Initiates cost reduction improvements and production procedures to ensure that production objectives are met in a safe and efficient manner.
- Develops and monitors production schedules to ensure that completed products are shipped on time and in accordance with customer expectations.
- Oversee the impact of operations on the environment by monitoring quality of plant effluents and emissions, coordinates efforts with Area Managers to ensure plant-wide compliance.
- Ensures effective communication throughout the facility; promotes teamwork and implements beneficial training methods.
- Reviews and recommends matters of personnel or rate changes with the Plant Manager.
- Assists with efforts in the determination of proper staffing for departments and participates in recruitment efforts, talent development, personnel development plans and the performance appraisal process, providing input as needed.
- Participates in long-range planning decisions, recommends capital improvements and has budget and cost responsibilities.
- Supports and administers approved Company policies, participates in the formulation of new Company policies which affect plant employees, clearly communicates Company policies and objectives throughout the plant.
Company Conformance Statements
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with co-workers, Company business associates and the general public.
- Work together in a cooperative spirit to serve the best interests of the Company.
- Operate in a fully responsible manner and comply with the law and Company policy.
- High school diploma/GED
- Valid Driver’s License
- Engineering/Technical degree
- At least 3 years of experience managing an oilseed crushing or biodiesel facility outside of our organization OR at least 2 years of management experience at our Company oilseed plants
- Hands-on involvement with the construction completion and start up of a biodiesel processing plant, with a lead role in start-up planning, construction monitoring and commissioning
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities (including any physical demands)
The following are the basic qualifications:
- Knowledge of applicable government regulations, personnel policies, etc.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations regarding EEO, safety, health and environmental management, etc.
- Knowledge necessary to accomplish the safe and timely start up of a processing plant
- Ability to effectively lead Production, Maintenance, Laboratory, Utility, Environmental, Health and Safety Managers and Team Leaders by exhibiting high ethical standards, engendering trust and empowering subordinates.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders as well as work at heights, manage confined space entry, withstand extended periods of walking and standing; and move manufacturing materials, products and equipment of 50 pounds or more, which requires bending and lifting
- Typical office equipment such as PC, telephone, fax
- Some time is spent in a climate-controlled office environment. Routine visits to industrial operations areas are necessary with exposure to a variety of temperatures and prevailing weather conditions; regular exposure to gases, vapors, dust and odors; occasional exposure to areas with wet floors and high volume of noise. Heavy lifting of manufacturing materials and products is required. Position will require regular stair climbing and extended periods of walking and standing in order to access and occasionally work in remote areas of the plant, heights and confined spaces. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be worn in compliance with Company standards and government regulations. Call-ins or the extension of regular working hours are occasionally necessary to complete time-sensitive projects, attend training or to respond to emergencies. Occasional domestic travel may be required.
- Supervises Production unit managers for Crushing, Biodiesel and refined glycerin as well as the Utilitydepartment. Has the authority to recommend hiring, firing, & discipline of employees as well as supervise, manage, & direct work.
This position maintains a high degree of autonomy in directing operations and implementing changes within executive guidelines; has cost responsibility for processing operations.
Safety, Health & Environmental Responsibilities
- Is an active member of the facility SHE Program. Maintains good working knowledge of SHE policies, rules and procedures applicable to area of responsibility and ensures all applicable requirements are adhered to. Ensures employees are provided required training for area assigned, and jobs and tasks prior to assigning work. Ensures area of responsibility is maintained in orderly and safe manner. Ensures unsafe working conditions are remedied as soon as practicable.
Louis Dreyfus Company provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other protected status.